Itch.io began as a website where users could host and download indie-style video games and the itch.io app is a platform that expands the capabilities. Initially, designer Leaf Corcoran had a more modest idea in mind. His first plan was for a website where game developers could customize their homepage.
Since the first release in March 2013, there have been more than 50,000 games hosted and software programs presented for download. Itch.io provides an open marketplace where independent game developers can promote their products. The developers have the last say o how their content is delivered and sold. There is no voting, likes, or other requirements to gain approval.
Itch.io App Features
- Users can smoothly download and play hundreds of games, plus dozens of software programs.
- Itch.io app works with Windows, macOS and Linux operating systems.
- All downloaded items are stored in the same location and can be set to update automatically.
- Users have access to an in-app browser to access their saved collections and purchases or browse for new games and software.
- Game enthusiasts can browse games in an original format using each creator’s unique page design.
- There is a Twitter feed @moonscript where users can tweet suggestions for game pages, along with other ideas.
- Itch.io also offers a select library of E-books for purchase.
- Each installed game can be set to update automatically. When using the delta patch command, only the changes will download.
- The app itself will also automatically update, keeping up with new features immediately after their launch.
- Games can be synced into the app, allowing them to be played offline. This is an excellent feature for situations where an active internet connection may not be available.
- After playing any game offline, as soon the user returns to online status, all updates are installed automatically.
- Users can learn about the intricate workings of the app by joining the itch.io app development community. Itch.io app is open source project on GitHub.
- There is a cryptocurrency Bitcoin option that users can select to pay for games, or developers can accept as payment.
- Developers can make use of the developer’s dashboard on itch.io to track downloads and their earnings.
- There is a Devlogs page where both gamers and game developers can explore updates, make comments about features and exchange design ideas
- The app is currently accessible in over 20 different languages. As part of the development community, users have an opportunity to assist in translating itch.io into a new language.
Avid gamer who enjoy the convenience of keeping downloads organized and automatically updated, will love the itch.io app. Developers will also find the app extremely useful for marketing their games and collecting earnings.
It is an open source platform that promotes user engagement. Some of the most creative game ideas on the web are available on itch.io. Downloading the itch.io app is an excellent option for anyone who wants to enhance their indie gaming experience.